Sunday, February 24, 2013

Fun Stages

There are so many fun things about our kids at these ages that I hope I will always remember. I know for that to happen, I need to write them down! I've been meaning to actually post this for weeks...

Damon:
-Obsessed with stars. A few months ago, literally EVERY time he saw a star, he would sing "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star", but his version was more like: "Kinko kinko widow dtar, how I wonder E E are. Up abuh the wor so high, wike a diamon ih da sky". Unfortunately, he doesn't sing it very often anymore and I've been unsuccessful at getting footage of him singing. It is so stinking cute.
-He has started to put some words together. For instance, after opening the door to let someone in, he'll say "Come on in!" with such enthusiasm. He also says "Weeeah (Malia)! Where are you?". Luckily he asks for "help" often, which is vastly different from Malia, whose favorite phrase is "I'll do it myself!".
-He misses Malia when she's at preschool. When they reunite (after only 2 hours, twice a week), they are both very hyper and excited to see one another.
-Highly addicted to his "soo soo". I'm afraid for the day when we have to break him of his pacifier habit.
-Loves going to the gym and church. The ladies that take care of him say he is so pleasant and well-adjusted. It's nice to know he's having a good time and I don't have to worry about separation anxiety.
-Is very affectionate. He loves to cuddle and do running hugs. When he wants to be held he says "hold you"
-Loves to be chased (especially on hands and knees) and tickled. His laughter is such a great pick-me-up. It makes up for his screams. (Although I think he's screaming less and less these days...that, or I'm just so accustomed to it that I don't notice it as much anymore).
-Makes typical 'boy' noises. At play group a couple of weeks ago, he came downstairs with a light saber (sp?) and while swinging it, made the light saber noise. He'd never seen one before- he just intuitively made the sound. Pretty funny.
-Is a challenge to feed. Like many toddlers, I imagine, he loves one thing one day, and hates it the next. It wouldn't bother me so much if he wasn't so tiny! (He weighed in at the 6th percentile (a little shy of 24lbs) at his 2 year check-up, but the doctor was pleased with that!). But one thing he consistently loves is smoothies. I pack most of his nutrition into that one morning sippy-cup, and feel good that at least he got some healthy, non-dairy, non-cracker calories to start his day. He is also notorious for throwing his food. Every. Single. Meal. You'd think by now I would have figured out how to stop that behavior, but no--I've just accepted that my kitchen floor will always have traces of Damon's rejected food. (I guess it's a good thing that the floor hides dirt well, and that I've never been a super tidy person anyway).
-He is crazy about shoes. Or all forms of footwear, for that matter. In any place where there are other people's shoes available, he will take the opportunity to try them on. Adult/child-sized, masculine/feminine, sparkly/boring, heeled/flat...it doesn't matter!

Malia:
-Loves to meet and play with other kids. At the park, she'll treat a stranger like her new best friend and say things like: "we'll come back another time!" or, "see you next week!", when it's time to go home.
-She speaks often and fondly of her favorite people (Laurel Lee & Robert, Grandma and Grandpa 'Birgil', Cole & Ally, Anna, Barbara, etc.).
-Loves to change her outfit multiple times a day. If she so much as gets a drop of water on an outfit, there is no convincing her that she should continue to wear it. She loves to wear dresses, swimsuits, and stretchy pants (no jeans for her!). It amazes me that she can be perfectly happy to wear a swimsuit and nothing else in our basement when it is probably close to 60 degrees down there in the morning when she wakes up.
-Has an insatiable appetite. I swear that girl is never full! It's quite the contrast to Damon and the amount of food he eats. Some of her favorites are: pickles (eaten with Kurt), dried fruit, pizza, and lucky for me- V8 (she even takes it for snack-time at preschool).
-Is into all things princess.
-She likes puzzles
-Likes putting all of her "guys" down to nigh nigh with "quash qwoffs" (washcloths, aka blankets).
-One of my favorite phrases of hers: "Swallow your mouth, Mom!" (She has said this a handful of times when she didn't appreciate being disciplined).
-Loves music. I found a Disney mix CD and we've been playing that in the van while we're out and about. It's very amusing to hear both kids try to sing along, even though they get many of the words wrong. She has become quite the back seat DJ!



No comments:

Post a Comment